Employment & Literacy Program (Workplace Literacy)
The Employment and Literacy Program (ELP) provides Non-English speaking immigrants living in the Fox Valley community the opportunity to learn English and develop work skills that will improve the quality of their lives through employment and enhanced community living. In this program, these individuals:
- Participate in daily English language classes
- Obtain paid work experience and job skills training in our production department
- Receive job placement services when seeking other employment once their proficiency in English is at a level adequate for success in the workplace.
Participants of this program are assigned a case manager who assists by coordinating their program, helping the individuals develop their goals, and serving as a mentor by assisting with workplace and everyday life issues.
Participants are assigned paid production jobs based upon their abilities and are a part of a blended workforce at Valley Packaging. Production jobs are very diverse and may include hand assembly and packaging, assembly line packaging, light machine tending and operation and material handling and palletizing.
English classes are conducted on a daily basis and are individualized based on the participants starting proficiency. Classes include:
- Basic reading / vocabulary
- Grammar / writing
- Oral Pronunciation
- Health and safety training
- Workplace problem solving
- Job seeking skills (Application completion & Interview preparation).
For more information, contact VPI’s Employment and Literacy Coordinator at 920-749-5859 or email firstname.lastname@example.org